Saturday, July 25, 2009

Love is in the air...

So we celebrated our 9th anniversary. Some people aren't even married that long. People are always surprised when we say how long we've been together. I love him, I really, really do. I'm pretty sure he loves me too.

This is us before we ever knew each other. We met because of that girl between us, Kristin. One of my best friends from High School. A her neighbor, who was a teacher at an elementary school in Streamwood, needed some extra counselors for a week long camping trip for his 6th grade class. Kristin asked me if I'd be interested and I had no problem skipping a week of school my senior year. Gordon was a student of this teacher when he was in the 6th grade and invited him to be one of the counselors as well. He caught my eye and I caught his. Over the week we talked a bit. Very friendly, great laugh, liked the same bands as I did, but alas... he had a girlfriend (they always do). I gave him my number at the end of the week and we parted ways. Life went on as normal and then he called me. We became friends. I flirted a little more than I should have with a guy that had a girlfriend. But, hey I was young, about to graduate, spend my summer in Germany and then move to Rhode Island for college. What have I got to lose? Well it must have worked because 26 days after meeting Gordon he was no longer with his girlfriend, he was with me. This is one of my favorite pictures of us. It was taken right before I left for college.
This is us now. It was taken a couple weeks ago at Kathryn and Sean's wedding. We look a little older, we drink a lot more, and we have a wonderful life together.
I made a few friends when I moved here via Craig's List. Below are (left to right) Ali and Liz. Deanna is taking the picture. In February Liz and her husband bought a house in New Jersey. People in Philadelphia love to make fun of people that live in Jersey. So we gave Liz a hard time about moving out of the city. One night while drinking too much Ali and I decided to get Liz a beadazzler for her birthday. We bought an extra one and made T-shirts. The heart on our shirts are beadazzled. We painted pottery on a rainy day. It was a lot of fun. I made a bowl for our keys.
In June my sweet friend Maria was having her baby shower. I wanted to be there so badly but couldn't take the time off at work because I was already taking time off for a wedding a few weeks later. I made her a quilt and a swaddler. I'm working on making a lot more and plan on opening an Etsy shop to sell them.
In July we went home. It was a much needed break from work and from Philadelphia. The reason for the trip was to go to Kathyrn and Sean's wedding. It was beautiful. One of the best weddings we've been to. They both looked stunning, the day was perfect, and love was all around.
The ceremony was beautiful and brought more than one tear to my eye. The reception was wonderful. The food was good, I loved the soup until I got it on my dress. Sean set up the play list for the DJ to play during the reception and all of it was perfect. We danced, we sang, and we had a blast. This is one of my favorite pictures of the happy couple.
Gordon is not big on dancing until he's had a few drinks... then watch out! Its fun.
I fully believe in wedding registries. They guarantee you're going to get something you want whether its coming from a distant relative, a coworker, or that guy your parents know that they made you invite. For my closest and most special of friends I have been giving a more personal wedding gift. I did it for Maria & Dan, Kristin & Robbie, and now Kathryn & Sean. I have been making quilts for the past 10 years. I love them. They make you warm and have a sense of comfort that I always hope will be with whom ever I give them to. Kathryn and Sean said that they loved it and that makes me happy.


2009 has been a good year so far. I am going to really really try to keep up with this. See ya next time.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

I just caught up on your summer! Thank you for the kind words about the wedding! I'm so glad you guys could be there to share the day with us and I can't wait to do the same with you and Gordon! And we love the quilt! We were so in awe when we opened it! I look forward to the day when I get my very own baby burrito...yes, I've already commissioned one.