Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hip to be a quilt square?

So if you're not aware already, I joined a book club. Next week is the first meeting. I finished the book last night. (Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See) It was really good. I liked it a lot. But now what do I do with my evenings? I pulled out my sewing machine and started back up on a quilt I started a while ago. It's nice to be quilting again. I love the results. I think it would be great to make some quilting friends here, ones that are under the age of 40 that is.

I've noticed there are yarn stores all over now a days. I have also noticed a growth in the knitting sections of craft stores. And then there is also the abundance of 'home made' scarves that pop up in winter. If its soo cool to knit can it be cool to quilt too? In Illinois I knew of quite a few quilt shops. Every time I went in I was always in awe of all the colors, the fabrics, the machines, and the possibilities. I've looked for quilt shops here and have only found one. ONE? In all of Philadelphia! I haven't gone yet but it really doesn't make any sense to me. Philly is surrounded by Amish country and this area is rich in quilting history. How can there only be one shop in the whole city?

In my quest for something to do in the evening I was originally looking for yoga classes, dance classes, or sewing classes. I found plenty of knitting classes but no quilting ones. I'm gonna keep an eye out and maybe by some stroke of luck I'll find a sewing circle. Unlikely though.

No comments: